This presentation of the ideas behind Pertinacity is from the New York Quantified Self Meetup #22.
The slides from the presentation are below. Additional notes and references can be found in the HaikuDeck gallery.
These documents are referenced throughout this website:
- Adams SA, Matthews CE, Ebbeling CB, et al. The effect of social desirability and social approval on self-reports of physical activity. Am J Epidemiol. 2005;161(4):389-98.
- Beltsville one-year dietary intake study. Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center, US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Center, Beltsville, MD. Am J Clin Nutr. 1984;40(6 Suppl):1323-403.
- Champagne CM, Bray GA, Kurtz AA, et al. Energy intake and energy expenditure: a controlled study comparing dietitians and non-dietitians. J Am Diet Assoc. 2002;102(10):1428-32.
- Cunningham, B. Smart Phones and Dietary Tracking: A Feasibility Study. 2011.
- Dansinger ML, Gleason JA, Griffith JL, Selker HP, Schaefer EJ. Comparison of the Atkins, Ornish, Weight Watchers, and Zone diets for weight loss and heart disease risk reduction: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2005;293(1):43-53.
- Dansinger ML, Tatsioni A, Wong JB, Chung M, Balk EM. Meta-analysis: the effect of dietary counseling for weight loss. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147(1):41-50.
- Erickson RS, Meyer LT. Accuracy of infrared ear thermometry and other temperature methods in adul ts. Am J Crit Care. 1994;3(1):40-54.
- Gibb KA, Yee AS, Johnston CC, Martin SD, Nowak RM. Accuracy and usefulness of a breath alcohol analyzer. Ann Emerg Med. 1984;13(7):516-20.
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies. Dietary reference intakes for energy, carbohydrate, fiber, fat, fatty acids, cholesterol, protein, and amino acids. 2002, 2005
- Jeffery RW, Wing RR, Mayer RR. Are smaller weight losses or more achievable weight loss goals better in the long term for obese patients?. J Consult Clin Psychol. 1998;66(4):641-5.
- Keys A, Fidanza F, Karvonen MJ, Kimura N, Taylor HL. Indices of relative weight and obesity. J Chronic Dis. 1972;25(6):329-43.
- Kraschnewski JL, Boan J, Esposito J, et al. Long-term weight loss maintenance in the United States. Int J Obes (Lond). 2010;34(11):1644-54.
- Kuncel NR, Ones DS, Hezlett SA. A comprehensive meta-analysis of the predictive validity of the graduate record examinations: implications for graduate student selection and performance. Psychol Bull. 2001;127(1):162-81.
- Linde JA, Jeffery RW, Finch EA, Ng DM, Rothman AJ. Are unrealistic weight loss goals associated with outcomes for overweight women?. Obes Res. 2004;12(3):569-76.
- Mertz W, Tsui JC, Judd JT, et al. What are people really eating? The relation between energy intake derived from estimated diet records and intake determined to maintain body weight. Am J Clin Nutr. 1991;54(2):291-5.
- Miller WC, Koceja DM, Hamilton EJ. A meta-analysis of the past 25 years of weight loss research using diet, exercise or diet plus exercise intervention. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 1997;21(10):941-7.
- Sacks FM, Bray GA, Carey VJ, et al. Comparison of weight-loss diets with different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydrates. N Engl J Med. 2009;360(9):859-73.
- Stackpool, Caitlin M. Accuracy of various activity trackers in estimating steps taken and energy expenditure. 2013.
- Stackpool, Caitlin M. Accuracy of various activity trackers in estimating steps taken and energy expenditure. 2013
- Tarasuk V, Beaton GH. The nature and individuality of within-subject variation in energy intake. Am J Clin Nutr. 1991;54(3):464-70.
- Validity of the SAT® for Predicting First-Year College Grade Point Average
- Weber JL, Reid PM, Greaves KA, et al. Validity of self-reported energy intake in lean and obese young women, using two nutrient databases, compared with total energy expenditure assessed by doubly labeled water. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2001;55(11):940-50.
- Wing RR, Phelan S. Long-term weight loss maintenance. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005;82(1 Suppl):222S-225S.